Dear Parents and Guardians,
The Madrid Public Library wants to welcome you back for the 2020-2021 school year. We want to wish you the very best this year. At this time, due to COVID-19, the library is offering limited services. The library looks very different and for now there will be changes to what has been available to youth and their families in the past. Listed below are some of these changes, as well as what we are able to offer you at this time. We want to thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Changes in the Library:
Most importantly, if you have depended on the library as a location for your child to spend time after school, before going home or waiting for a ride, you will have to make other arrangements. During a typical school year we see many children in the library from 3:00-7pm. We are not able to accommodate that this fall due to safety guidelines.
- There is no seating available. The library has a capacity limit of 10, so patrons will be limited in the amount of time they are able to spend in the library. In order to accommodate the most people as possible, patrons are encouraged to spend only a short amount of time looking for materials, picking up crafts, etc.
- We are currently operating at modified hours. Our hours are Monday –Thursday 10am-6pm and Fridays from 10am-4pm. We are closed on Saturdays.
- A limited number of computers are available. Each patron is able to get on for one 30 minute After that they are done with the computers for the day.
- There are no toys or tablets available at this time.
- There will be no in-person programs at this time at the library. This includes Early Out Days.
- In-person tutoring, collaboration, group project work, hanging-out and socializing are not allowed
Youth Services Available:
- Patrons are able to come inside the library to look for and check out books and DVDs.
- On Early Out Days, there will be Grab and Go Craft Kits available for pick up.
- Many online resources are available on our website.
- Computers are available for use. Again, patrons will be able have ONE 30 minute session per day.
We are keeping the library as safe and sanitized as possible at all times, but we cannot guarantee any child’s safety or health, as we are a public building. Please take time to carefully consider if you want to send your child to the library without an adult. Any child under the age of 6 must be accompanied by an adult.
For safety reasons, and as seating is not available and time is limited, children will not be able to remain inside or outside the library while waiting to be picked up after school or otherwise. Any child entering the library should be there for library activities only (check out books or DVDs, picking up crafts, using a computer, etc). If children begin to gather on library grounds they will be asked to leave. If the library has reached its capacity (10 patrons in the library at 1 time), patrons will be asked to wait outside on the sidewalk until space opens up. Even if the weather is bad, you will not be able to wait in between doors or in lobbies.
Know that all of us at the MPL are parents and we understand the challenges of balancing work, life, family, and all the other demands of living under these new circumstances. Many of us are also struggling to figure out how to make all the pieces fit together. We hope to see a future where things return to normal and the library is once again a good place to hang out after school. Until then know that as much as we hate to say “No”, we feel that this is the best thing we can do for our community.
We will do our very best to stay in communication with the Madrid School District to keep you updated on information regarding the library. Our policies and details about our services are always available for you to view on our website https://madridiowa.org/library/. If you have any questions about youth services or programs, please feel free to contact us by email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 515-795-3846.
Stay safe and healthy, and have a great school year!