Adopted: June 2011
Reviewed and adopted: October 2015
To meet the needs of students and institutions of higher learning, the Madrid Public Library agrees to cooperate with patrons and institutions to support their lifelong learning goals by offering proctoring services. This service is based on availability of personnel and technology to do so.
Responsibilities of the student:
The student will ask library staff to proctor the exam.
- The student will be required to arrange for the exam and instructions to be sent to the library director at least one week before taking the exam.
- The student is responsible for making arrangements to take the exam, including contacting the library to make sure the test information has arrived (electronically or via email) and scheduling a time to take the test. The student will schedule the exam time to end no less than 30 minutes before the closing of the library.
- The student is responsible for ensuring that the computer resources at the library are adequate and available for test taking.
- The student will provide a valid driver’s license or photo ID (if required) for verification of identity or the test will not be proctored.
- The student will arrive prepared with the necessary or required supplies to take the exam.
- The student is responsible for the return postage and envelope for any exam which does not include a self-addressed stamped envelope. If it is required to fax the test to the institution, the student is responsible for that cost.
- The finished exam, if mailed, will be handled with other library mail.
Responsibilities of the library and staff:
- A library staff person will proctor the exam. Specific librarians will not be assigned to proctor specific exams over
- The proctor will observe the student while performing other tasks and assisting other patrons. Proctoring at the library will include issuing the exam, being aware of the student taking the exam, periodically observing the student, signing a proctor form and mailing the completed exam, if necessary. If an institution requires the student to receive constant uninterrupted observation, the library will be unable to proctor the exam.
- The staff person who begins proctoring the exam may not be at the desk when the exam is finished. The student may be returning the exam to a different librarian than the one who started the exam to the student.
- The librarian will not sign the name of another librarian on the proctoring form or exam. The Madrid Library will not proctor an exam for which the signature of only one designated person is required.
- Library staff will not sign any statement required by the educational institution inconsistent with the library’s policy or with how the test is administered.
- Library staff may refuse to proctor an exam too burdensome or exacting in its demands.
- The library can not provide proctoring for groups of students.
- The library is NOT responsible if the institution’s web site is not working.
- The library is NOT responsible for exams that are lost by the postal system or electronically.
- The library will not keep copies of completed exams.