Madrid Public Library
Section: Library Operations
Subject: Circulation Policy
Board Approved: April 2007
Reviewed & Revised: Oct 2010, July 2013, September 2016
The Madrid Public Library strives to provide all patrons with fair and equal access to library materials. Some library services require having a valid library account. To be eligible to check out library materials, patrons must have a library account in good standing.
- Residents of the state of Iowa are eligible to register for a library account, although residents of cities not in compliance with Iowa’s Open Access agreement are not allowed to open an account.
- To open an account, patrons must complete the registration form and show a photo ID and proof of current address. A photo ID may include a valid drivers license, state issued ID, school ID or passport. Proof of residence may include a valid driver’s license, recent utility bill, lease or a piece of mail received within the last 30 days.
- Customer borrowing privileges are suspended when the maximum limit set for fines or fees has been reached.
- Warning letters and Municipal infractions may be issued whenever the library has a concern regarding the return of materials or a customer’s satisfaction of an outstanding obligation.
- Replacement cards are $1.50 to replace.
- Personal account holders and/or the responsible adult on a child’s account are responsible for any items checked out on their account and any fines or fees accrued on their account.
- If a library card is lost or stolen the patron must notify the library immediately. Patrons are responsible for all account activity until the library is notified about the lost/stolen card. Once notified, no materials will be loaned against that card.
- Patrons are expected to comply with the library’s policies and procedures.
- Patrons are expected to comply with copyright laws, and the library assumes no responsibility for patron infractions of copyright laws while using library materials.
- Patrons with valid library accounts may request items to be held for them; requests will be added to the reserve list in the order they are received.
- Patrons must notify the library of changes in account information (name, address, phone numbers, etc.)
- Patrons must not tamper with or alter library materials and must return library materials, including all parts and packaging, in good condition.
Fines and Fees
- Some materials are designated by the library as non-circulating. Other materials have a pre-determined check out and renewal periods.
- The library charges fines and fees to encourage compliance with procedures, which promote fair and equal access to limited resources for all patrons.
- Patrons may be notified of overdue materials, outstanding fines/fees, or problems with their account by telephone, email notices, printed notices and/or other means.
- The library charges a daily fine for overdue items for each day the library is open.
- The library charges a replacement fee for lost or stolen library cards.
- The library charges for lost or damaged library materials.
- Patron borrowing privileges are suspended when fines and fees are surpassed.
- The library may offer programs that allow for options of payment of fines (such as a payment plan or a fine alternative program).
A LIST OF FINES AND FEES IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST